Prepping for Your Cannabis Job Interview
Even though the cannabis industry has a reputation for being one of the more relaxed industries to work in, many cannabis companies are beginning to set the bar higher in terms of who they’ll hire thanks to efforts to maintain their brand image.
As dispensaries begin to “franchise” themselves within their markets, hiring managers will be giving a lot more thought to whether a candidate will help or hurt their image. So if you’re looking to join the ranks of the fastest growing industry in the country, you’re going to need to step your game up in order to land that cannabis job opening over your competitors…and there is a LOT of competition.
The following are a few tips to help you nail the interview and show your prospective employer that you have what it takes to rock the role:
- Dress to impress – Just because the day-to-day attire may be casual doesn’t mean you should show up in your favorite t-shirt and jeans. Think collared shirts, pencil skirts, and nice shoes.
- Bring a current resume – Even if they ask you to fill out an application, bringing a polished resume that showcases your experience and/or education will really set you apart from the other candidates. (Note: If you don’t have a lot working experience, be sure to highlight your educational and personal achievements instead).
- Do some research – Make sure you do a little digging on some basic facts about the company before your face-to-face. When did they opened their doors? What is their company culture is like? What does their brand represent? Most company websites nowadays will give you some insight into what’s important to them and what they’re all about, so get familiar.
- Be prepared to answer tough questions – What would you consider to be your biggest weakness? How do you handle confrontation? How do you deal with high pressure situations? Make sure you can adequately speak to both your strengths and your weaknesses.
- DON’T GET HIGH BEFORE THE INTERVIEW – Yes cannabis jobs can be relaxed, and most people do partake in the product, but you’ll want to show them that you’re alert, receptive, and ready to represent them in the best light possible. Remember, you’ve got a lot of competition you’re going up against, so you have to break away from the lazy stoner stereotype.
- Smile and have fun with it! Show them your excited to join the team and just be your genuine awesome self!
This may all sound like Job-Seeker 101, but you’d be surprised at how many candidates don’t take these simple additional steps to help get their application to the top of the stack.
Good luck out there, and let us know if these tips helped you (or if you have some tips of your own) in the comments below.